Getting ready for tenants

An outline of the steps that you can take to avoid problems during the renting of your property.

Health and safety

Before you take on a tenant, certain regulations need to be observed and there are steps you can take to help ensure trouble-free tenancies.

You will need the following, and we can arrange for the appropriate checks to be carried out on your behalf:

  • Energy Performance Certificate (renewed every 10 years)
  • Landlords Gas Safety Certificate (renewed annually)
  • EICR (renewed every 5 years)
  • Portable Appliance Test Certificate (renewed annually)
  • Fire Safety Checks (renewed Annually for HMO)
  • Mains Wired Smoke Alarm System
  • Legionella Testing (currently every 2 years)
    • All soft furnishings must comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 and be labelled accordingly. Inventory We will record a detailed inventory of contents and description of the property prior to your tenants moving in. Utilities Littlejohns will notify your energy suppliers and the council tax department when new tenants move in and out of the property and provide them with meter readings. Insurance You must have buildings and contents insurance to cover all eventualities, including, for example, accidental damage and loss of rent. You must inform your insurer of your intention to let and we ask that you provide us with copies of your policies for our records. Should your property be damaged, we can deal with insurance claims on your behalf, keeping you informed throughout the claims process.